Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Walden; Ou A Vida Nos Bosques


My biggest fear when traveling is to run out of books. I call it "Abibliophobia".

The second biggest concern is to run out of books in English. But as my language skills improve, books in Portuguese can become teaching tools. At least that's what I tell myself.

But finally, I ran across Walden in translation! 

I grew up next to this pond (or 8 miles away), and learned how to swim there.  I have loved Henry David Thoreau since I can remember.  And somehow his philosophy matched very well with my mother's sense of nature. She'd talk about the Azores and how to live in harmony with the Earth.

Somehow, this book was never anything new to me, although I am constantly surprised at how many people are challenged by his message.

Go live by a body of water. Enjoy the world around you, big & small. Be quiet & enjoy the silence.


No comments:

Post a Comment