Saturday, July 18, 2015

Massachusetts towns with Portuguese Populations

 I still read Facebook to keep up with the news back home. (Once upon a time, I used to read the New York Times, but their paywall has annoyed me into mostly forgetting that they exist.)

Today, I came across a list of the "Worst" places to live in MA.  Created by looking at crime, income & unemployment. And not taking into account anything else.

What leads the list? 

New Bedford.  Fall River. Taunton is on there too.


From the pictures, I'd say, yes, they look familiar & representative. Also, they remind me of other places like Newark.

I don't understand all the socio-economic issues that would come into play that would make Portuguuese people choose towns like these again & again. Because each has a significant Azorean population. I just remember seeing these places as a child and wanting to get away from that kind of influence.

Is this the America that we've been looking for?

No comments:

Post a Comment