Monday, July 20, 2015

RIAC & AtlanticoLine Boat Planning Annoyances

I LOVE boats.  My great-grandfather was a whaler (or so I'm told).  I am planning to travel to Madeira, and would prefer to travel by boat.  Apparently, you have to go from Lisbon and it is VERY expensive. Even if I can't do that, I'd still like to visit Faial by boat, where my Mom & her family grew up.  I visit AtlanticoLine, the only boat option.

There is a special offer. The Blue Sea Pass, 3 islands Roundtrip for just 108 Euros.

"GREAT!" I think to myself, I'm going to spend time on the water & understand what it is like to approach the islands like the ancient sailors did.

I'll go from Santa Maria (where I am now) to Sao Miguel (it's a different boat) to Faial.  And when I come back, I'll stop at Sao Miguel (to take the plane to Madeira, the only direct option) and come back to Santa Maria.

Frankly, I've done the boat trip before, even done a cruise of the islands, booked a room onboard & everything.  I am already aware that the boat doesn't travel everyday & that there are stops that last for hours on some islands.  It is not the easiest means of travel or the most flexible.  I am aware that one leg of the journey will be 13 hours. And coming back will be 23 hours. (LONG stops included)

(You are welcome to stop reading here.  The rest of this post is a detailed rant about just how difficult it was to buy the ticket.  I LOVE the islands, why doesn't the RIAC/Atlantico Line Office want to take my money??)

Apparently, the online system makes it too difficult to purchase this package.  I can purchase ONLY a round trip deal for 2 different dates.  If you are visiting 3 islands, does it not make sense to also include a way to indicate the arrival/departure dates for the 3rd island where you WANT to stay?

The online system also returns results in a confusing order. I ask for August 10th and get results listed as
14-8
10-8
12-8

Why would the date I request be the first result anyway?  Wouldn't I rather travel later? (the website seems to think so)

So I went to the RIAC office itself.  And just spent an HOUR trying to figure out how to buy a ticket for what I actually want. The Very Patient Woman behind the counter put my entire schedule into the system.

My proposed travel itinerary for 3 islands:

Santa Maria>Sao Miguel>Faial>Sao Miguel>Santa Maria

The Very Patient Woman helped me to figure out THEIR required itinerary for me to pay 108 Euros for the "3 Island Special":

Santa Maria>Terceira>Faial>Sao Miguel>Santa Maria

How many islands do you see above? 4, count 'em, FOUR!!!!

The annoying part, it is EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT trip. The schedule includes a stop in Terceira for 12 hours. 2pm until 2am, no matter where you want to go, you have to get off & spend money in Terceira.

Unfortunately, even with this modified version, the computer system didn't allow the purchase.  The "Purchase" button that SHE was seeing was grayed out.  She called twice & seemed embarrassed, but asked that we come back tomorrow, while she tried to "massage the system" (it sounds better in Portuguese).

At the end of the hour-long visit, I still didn't have my tickets.  I was also annoyed that the AC didn't work.  Frankly, I was frustrated enough NOT to visit any other islands. Or if I did, it would be by airplane.

==

Afternoon Update: Price on SATA:146 Euros, Sao Miguel to Faial, with a stop in Terceira!

2nd Day Update: They called, told me (in English) that everything had been figured out and I could go back to purchase the tickets. We spent another hour in the office, looking at a grayed out button.

3rd Day Update: They called me again, at 11:45, when they close for lunch at 12.  I returned later that day. I gave up fighting. I paid my money.  I got my ticket. I went to the beach.

I plan to write a letter & call to complain.  After my trip is over.  I don't want anything else to go wrong!!


No comments:

Post a Comment