Thursday, July 9, 2015

Preparations for Imperios in Sao Miguel

If you are traveling from Lisbon to Santa Maria, it is highly likely that you will have a  stopover in Sao Miguel. 

Especially if you fly with Ryan Air.  We left Lisbon at 9 and arrived in Sao Miguel at 12 (2 hours plus the 1 hour time difference). Our flight to Santa Maria would leave at 6:45, so we had the full afternoon. 

Usually, I am/we are lucky enough to call a family member to come pick me up and maybe we have lunch. Today was no    different, except that I saw something unusual in the main square.

 

It was a giant crown, complete with lights.


I've seen these in the hands of little children during processions. I've seen the arrangement in the gathering hall at the end; representing each town/community/fregesia.  
Proportionally, I've seen really large ones, and really tiny ones.
I've never seen any THIS big.

Could it be that São Miguel likes to show off? ;)

---

Flying to Santa Maria was beautiful, as always. 15 minutes in the air (or 3 hours by boat) it may not have the above, but it is still beautiful in scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment