Saturday, July 25, 2015

Almagreira Fest!!

Just as I thought Santa Maria was quieting down (until Mare de Agosto, anyway), I saw the lights in Almagreira!  The church was outlined in a red color, for the freguesia of Almagreira, which is known for the red outlines of houses. (Explained in a future post)


Friday & Saturday had the whole island coming out to celebrate. I had a lovely dinner of Albacore (note the ongoing discussion of whether it is "Tuna" or not).

The dinner itself was served in what in New York City, we would call a "pop-up" restaurant. Here, it is a bunch of picnic tables inside a food tent. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't sponsored or run by an established restaurant, because everything was delicious!


There were displays of typical folkloric dances, which involved young people in various traditional costumes. I even spotted someone wearing a capote! (Not in this picture, alas!)


There was even a dance around a Maypole!! (Aka Portuguese Pole Dancing)

On Saturday, they also were "playing with the Bulls", which I didn't stay very long to watch.  They put a rope on the Bulls and let them loose among men crazy enough to run in the field with them. I feel bad for the poor creatures. The people, I mean,






No comments:

Post a Comment