Tuesday, July 21, 2015

SATA Flight Insurance Questions

I'm traveling & I have questions about what *exactly* insurance would buy me. Note that an Insurance page does not become an option until you have selected the payment option & there is no FAQ available for it.

Also note that if you are looking for Sao Miguel or Faial, you MUST search for "Ponta Delgada" or "Horta" respectively. Cities, not islands.  A complication for the innocent traveler.

The closest thing is their "Changes and Refunds" page, which does not indicate the time limit, just that you can't change or get a refund online.  I just spent 10 minutes on hold trying to call someone. And this was after visiting the office in Santa Maria and seeing a line of 5 people for 1 service agent. 

The nature of my question:
I am attempting to arrive at Sao Miguel on a boat at 6:30am.  I would like to then board a plane at 8:55am to Funchal, Madeira.

IF everything goes according to schedule, I know I can easily be at the airport 2 hours ahead of departure time.

IF things screw up, and I am too late for the plane, I have NO IDEA what will happen. Right now, I have an opportunity to buy a ticket for the 8:55am or for one that leaves the NEXT DAY.  The one the next day costs 30 Euros more and I will have to sleep in a hotel, which will also cost me from 50 to 100 Euros.

If I take my chances and buy the one for 8:55am, can I buy insurance to take the next plane?

If I play it safe and buy the one for the next day, can I still go to the office & try to get on the earlier flight if I make it on time? (I've done this in the US)

If I use Paypal, does it mean that I have some kind of insurance on my ticket? "allows the buyer to be reimbursed in case the item purchased online doesn't arrive" (does that EVEN apply here?).  See note below about how wonderful it is to use Paypal, but it offers nothing in the way of actually answering my question.

Paypal

PayPal is a global payments platform which is becoming increasingly popular due to the security, convenience and quickness it allows making and receiving payments online. To start using PayPal you only need to have an email address.
Now you can conveniently and securely pay for your online purchases from your computer, smartphone or tablet.
This payment system is totally free. You can simply create a PayPal account associated with a credit card and introduce the e-mail address with the corresponding password on each payment.
With PayPal your security is not neglected. Now you won’t have to expose your credit cards and bank account information whenever you purchase online. Your information is carefully stored in PayPal's database.
Another strong point is its buyer protection program that allows the buyer to be reimbursed in case the item purchased online doesn’t arrive.
Many reasons to use PayPal as a payment method for your online bookings.

No comments:

Post a Comment