Monday, June 1, 2015

The Countdown Begins: I leave in 21 days for Sao Miguel!

My cousin visited from Santa Maria a month ago.  I realized that it was time for me to visit, again.  I have family all over the place & I try to go every 4 years.  I got my ticket on SATA, after much internal debate. But deep down, I knew I'd be going.



I'm excited to tell everyone that I'll be gone for the summer.  I say that I'm going to Portugal, then correct myself for them.

"Actually, it's the Azores," I say, "a bunch of islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean,"

Most people react well to "Portugal"; they generally have a sense of where it is ("Europe, right?" Yes, Europe) and what language they speak ("Spanish, right?" No, not Spanish.  You're close, though!)

I say, "most people" when I mean, "most Americans".  And even then, there is a giant difference between where I live now, New York and where I grew up, Waltham (outside Boston).  People in New York may not know about the Azores, have never had heard the word, but they won't admit it. We are all immigrants on the island of Manhattan.  Outside Boston, there is a chance that someone *knows* someone who is from there, or has visited, or both.  It works for New Bedford, Fall River and Providence.  And certain parts of California.  I've heard that there are so many Azorean immigrants to California that they have completely taken over the dairy industry.  If you get your milk from a West Coast cow, chances are pretty high that is speaks Portuguese.

That was a joke.

Most people have NO CLUE about the Azores.  And maybe it's better to keep it that way.  I feel slightly as if I'm betraying the selfish part of me, the future me who wants to keep it all a secret.  It's like I have inherited a Van Gogh painting, something breathtaking, and I keep it locked away in my basement. I want to keep the endless beaches and scenery all to myself.  But sharing is what makes anything worthwhile, right? I want to encourage people to come, but I don't want it spoiled, okay?

To all the future tourists who come to visit, especially because of any of my writings, be warned.  This is not just another vacation. These islands are pristine and unspoiled by uber-tourism.  These mountains and views are treasured & holy.  My family lives there, and has lived there for centuries.  Be respectful.

You are coming to my home.

1 comment: