Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Social Anxiety About Not Being Able to Communicate

In my American life, I have a fair amount of social anxiety.  But I am also fairly good at trying to overcome it.  Go to a party and talk to people who are by themselves too.  Or hang out by the food. Conversation can be easy, once you open your mouth.  Being funny is optional, but possible.

In Portuguese, I'm stumped by the easiest questions.

"How are you?"
Proper response: "Tudo bem!  Tudo bem!!"
My response: . . . . . (big smile & nod)

And to be completely honest, I've been able to fall back on my built-in translator.  My Mom.

She is not coming with me this time.

Prior to this trip, my biggest achievement in getting around by myself is taking the ferry to Pico by myself.

I am writing this before I have left American soil. By the time you are reading this, I will have landed this morning and (hopefully) will have already survived  several interactions on the plane, the airport and Ponta Delgada.

Social anxiety plus not having language plus jetlag.  Sometimes it's hard to do what you are most afraid of.

Boa sorte!!

No comments:

Post a Comment