Friday, June 19, 2015

Inherent Portuguese Environmentalism, Of Whales and Poison Ivy

My Mom believes in living in harmony with Mother Nature.

From my earliest memories, she'd point out wildflowers to me.  She has a talent for knowing what plants are good for tea to help with digestion.  And she can also find a four leaf clover in any patch of grass, oftentimes she will find several.  Even my Vovo would be called an "herbalist" nowadays.

She allows everything to grow free, except for Poison Ivy. A few weeks ago, she tried to help a friend cut down a vine.  And even though she was careful, she suffered the consequences for weeks. Mother Nature won again.

"Respect for Mother Nature" is the creed of every Portuguese fisherman.  Just when you think you have control over the ocean, it turns around and reminds you who is really in charge.  Moby Dick comes out of the experience of many fishermen, including ones from the Azores that Melville had met during his travels. That link contains a marvelous quote from the author from modern fishermen recalling being on the ocean (and whaling):

"his last words to me were: “Foi uma vida maravilhosa” – it was a marvelous life."

If you want a more authentic Portuguese take on the islands, try Raul Brandao.  He is known for As Ilhas Desconhecidas (1926).

Just for the record, I consider myself a tree-hugger, a nature-lover.  However, I have spent the day trying to beat back the jungle of weeds around my Mom's house.  There are patches of Poison Ivy around the edges and I want to keep them at bay. I do the weeding as regularly as I can, and am always overwhelmed.

As much as I am a supporter of the Environmental Movement, I am certain that Mother Nature will outlast us all. She definitely won today.



No comments:

Post a Comment