Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Polvo/Octopus and Muintas Animais

Sometimes you can learn so much from children.  Like words.

Watch this kid, Luis Antonio, on why he wants to be a vegetarian.  "I want them to stay standing up!"



And while we are on the topic of not eating Polvo/Octopus, here is an octopus who grabs 2 half coconut shells. Because.

To be completely honest about my level of Portuguese, this is one of the few videos which I actually realized that I understood every word.  I used to call my level of learning "Caveman Portuguese", I'd point to things & grunt.  I'm not quite at "Kitchen Portuguese", I'm sure there are some vocabulary words I wouldn't know, especially when cooking (my Mom's cooking lately includes buying a whole roasted chicken and she stops there.  She does have some recipes up her sleeve & I've been trying to get her to share).

At this point, after not being on Portuguese soil or within Portuguese earshot for 4 years, I have the same grasp of the language as a 4 year old.  I like how he uses a similar sentence structure to reinforce his point.  And I recognize all the animals he mentions. (And so should you if you want to know what you are ordering in a restaurant!)

But I'm sure I'll remember more as I practice more! It happens every time.


No comments:

Post a Comment