Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hot and Cold Running Water


RIBEIRA GRANDE, Sao Miguel
Hot & Cold Running Water



I stole this picture (and joke) from a Sata Airlines FB post!!  

The red water comes from the heated springs (which smell like sulphur), but are very healthy to swim in.  The cold water looks a little too blue, but that's how water looks in the Azores.  
Beautiful and clear.  
It's a running joke that pictures of the water look like they've been photoshopped.  I visited with a friend in 1988, and when she had her pictures developed at a drugstore (they used to do that!!)  they all questioned her!!  "Where IS that?? It doesn't look like a real place!!  The water is too blue!"

P.S. My Mom grew up using an outhouse, but in all of my travels, I've only ever used modern plumbing in the Azores.  (Sometimes it may be recommended to put used toilet paper in a wastebasket-in order to save the septic tank or plumbing) 

P.P.S. Waterfalls are always my preferred baths!!

No comments:

Post a Comment