Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Leftover Açorda Alentejana Recipe

Thanksgiving at my house was always a weird experience.  A Father from Detroit and a Mom from Faial, the American half was the one to cook.

Or, we'd go to visit our closest relatives, the Portuguese side, and there'd be the traditional feast.  For starters: Chicken soup with lemon.  Then a huge roast Turkey, Giblet Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes (heavy on the cream & butter-like nothing I've ever tasted out of a box, or even on an American table), canned corn & peas and maybe a dish of Bacalhau casserole.  And for dessert, my PORTUGUESE Grandmother's (Vovo's) Apple Pie.  It was always juicier, with a flakier crust than any "American Pie" version I've tried. And she'd roll extra pie crust into the features of a face.

And somehow, there would always be football on TV.  The American kind.


Here's a link to a Portuguese variation on an American Tradition.  I haven't tried it yet, but maybe I will this year!   Açorda Alentejana http://catavino.net/portuguese-thanksgiving-leftovers/

No comments:

Post a Comment