Thursday, July 20, 2017

Portuguese Consulate in Boston: Cartao de Cidadao

Now, if you are like me, you might have a parent or grandparent who was born in Portugal.

Which makes you eligible for citizenship, the right to work in the EU, etc.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!!

(The grandparent clause was added in 2016, I think, not enough descendants are going back)

The only problem is, you need a LOT of patience with the paperwork.  And it certianly HELPS if you have that parent/grandparent or someone who speaks the language to help you.

I had my mother, who is fluent, is a kindly old lady, and is naturally patient.

We have had SEVERAL appointments and every time, I leave puzzled.

There is no "process" that I can see. No CONFIRMATION system.

Our last visit 3 months ago, was me bringing ALL of my paperwork to fill out a Cartao de Cidadao.  (Online, i had selected a "Passport" appointment, which NEVER asked or told me what I needed).

3 months later, I emailed a week ago to see if the paperwork had gone through.  No answer.
My mother picked up her renewed Cartao and was able to process her NEW passport.  She's 77, but I keep convincing her to keep everything current, she's my translator and FRANKLY, if I must take care of her, I'd rather do it in Portugal.  Where I can write, hopefully!!  My fantasy is to "retire" there, or at least write and make enough money to survive, when this Tech thing dries up. (Always have another career in your back pocket, my generation will NEVER retire!)

The lovely lady-who we are getting to know-flitted in and out because the system was down in Lisbon.  She had called and sent an email for my mother's passport.  I was never sure if she checked about my paperwork.  We were there from 10:15 until 12:50.  Never fully dismissed, we had appointments at 10:40 and 11:05, although we were never called for them.  We were still there as the whole room emptied out. It was crowded when we arrived, full of people who were there for the first time.

Later that day, she sent me an email that it had gone through. All I needed to do was to pick it up. And make another appointment.




No comments:

Post a Comment