Sunday, June 21, 2015

SATA Only Wants Married Women to Travel

"Mrs. Rose"

This is how SATA identifies me.

Even though I am not married. The only other option is "Mr"

The choices they could offer could have more diversity.  I know all sorts of sites that include options for identities including Transgender, CisGender, Pan-Sexual and even non-human designations.

Registering for my ticket, online, it is the main thing I remember.  And that makes me angry, outright, furious and annoyed.  It is WRONG.

It especially makes me uncomfortable to think that in some kind of emergency, they will contact my family (A MINHA MAE!!/MY MOTHER!) and tell them that a "Mrs. Tammy Rose" is missing.

"Mrs?" they will think.
"Did she get married and not tell me?"
"Where is her husband?"

The options in Portuguese just don't translate.  "Senhor" and "Senhora".  Apparently, the people who run the site have ignored "Senhorita", even the ones in Portuguese.  (Do young Portuguese women NOT order their tickets online?)  I suspect that it is only a holdover and that not enough women have complained enough.

Or that everyone just laughs about it.  And I am just being a sensitive American.


No comments:

Post a Comment