Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Thoreau Mentions the Azores!

On another blog, I am recording my research into a play I am writing about Henry David Thoreau, Walden Pond and the circle of Transcendentalists who evolved around it.

In Thoreau's first book, "A Week on The Concord and Merrimack Rivers" (1849), I am shocked to find this on the first page:

I am bound, I am bound, for a distant shore, By a lonely isle, by a far Azore, There it is, there it is, the treasure I seek, On the barren sands of a desolate creek.

He knows his world, both near and far.  He would later live in a cabin by himself for two years and would be an important philosopher/nature writer who would show America the beauty of the natural world and plant the seeds for the current environmentalist movement.  My mother has always espoused this idea as well.  Every wildflower and weed is beautiful in its own way and Mother Nature should be honored and respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment