Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sopa de Coves

"Ela gosta muito de sopa de coves"

(she likes much the soup of Kale)

Kale soup is made as a meat broth, with vegetables tossed in.  My grandmother made it strictly with only onions, white potatoes and kale chopped into long slender strips.

If you are ever in a Portuguese household and are offered anything with a green vegetable in it, you should accept.  White potatoes, white rice and white bread are the most common elements in any meal. (Circa 1970 in my family anyway).

When I was a kid I kept being offered soup by lovely little old Portuguese ladies.  Unfortunately, my language skills were so poor at the time that I wouldn't accept.  They would all point to the pot and say, "Sopa?"

I thought that "soap" was their secret ingredient.


No comments:

Post a Comment